Friday, October 9, 2009

Velveeta Broccoli Soup

Very simple, very tasty. J has been asking me to make this again so I'm going to have to break down and make it soon, it just feels more like a strictly cold weather soup to me. It's really thick and rich, it really fills you up. I make a loaf of fresh, hot, homemade bread to go along with it to dunk in the soup. I've used the light velveeta in this as well as regular, both worked fine. I also add some garlic powder, I think that little hit of flavor really ties it all together, but I left the recipe listed as it was written. If you want a little extra flavor, just shake in some garlic powder while it's cooking, probably about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon. Start with 1/4, then taste, add more to your taste.

2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp. flour
2-1/2 cups milk
3/4 lb. (12 oz.) VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut up
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, drained
1/8 tsp. pepper

MELT butter in large saucepan on medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add flour; cook 1 minute or until bubbly, stirring constantly. STIR in milk. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 1 minute. ADD remaining ingredients. Cook until VELVEETA is melted and soup is heated through, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment